Disaster Recovery: The Final Word
May 18, 2016
We have spent a lot of time talking about the importance of Disaster Recovery and an adequate data backup plan. We hope to have imparted a few take home points:
- Backup is not an option, it is CRITICAL.
- There are a lot of options out there, and it is important to make the right choice for your business to avoid financial catastrophe.
- More than likely, you need help! Professionals are there to help you succeed, and you should use their expertise instead of trying to go it alone.
Based on the extensive experience of the EMP team, some conclusions and final thoughts on DR/data backup:
- When selecting a data protection plan for your business, it is important to get past initial or up-front cost.
- Cloud backups may be very inexpensive initially, but the cost of storing large amounts of data long-term will add up. Cloud is especially expensive if it does not line up with your businesses time to restore requirements.
- In our experience, it is more important to adjust your budget to meet your business’ realistic needs than it is to adjust your expectations based on a budget. If your risk is too high, you could lose everything for the difference of a few hundred dollars per month.
- It is always important to look at a business data backup solution as an insurance policy. Just like insurance policies, they seem like an unnecessary expense until the day comes when you absolutely need it.